Monday, July 28, 2008

Courtesy, our way of life?

I'm on a roll today, this is my 2nd post of the day. It's only because I'm disgusted at the lack of civic consciousness I encounter everyday! This topic isn't new here, it has been brought up in forums & newspapers that the citizens of Singapore are not very courteous, hence the need for a nationwide courtesy campaign, supposedly launch in 1979, if this contribution in wiki is accurate.

It sets you wondering what's wrong with Singaporeans? Do you need to be taught a virtue as basic as courtesy? After living in this "Garden City" for the past 32 years, yes, I truly believe we need this campaign & we need to revive it fast, like NOW. And it's to educate the 'foreign talents' that have been heavily lauded as an essential talent pool to help propel Singapore into a world class nation.

Into my 2nd trimester now, it's very obvious that I'm not walking around with a beer belly or a pillow under my dress (as 1 of my colleagues say it since I've not put on much weight anywhere else except for my growing tummy).

As part of my daily commute, I'll take the mrt as 1 of my preferred mode of transport. My train journey can be as long as 40 mins and standing in a travelling train while pregnant isn't exactly comfortable. However, it seems that the passengers of mrt don't seem to understand this. Either these people have never been pregnant (which is true for guys), do not understand the difficulties of standing on a moving vehicle with a bulging stomach or have amensia about their pregnancy days!

I've noticed very frequently that everyone turns into great actors deserving of an Oscar award when I step onto the train. They'd suddenly find that the view on every part of the train (except moi, who's standing in front of them) is interesting, or they have a sudden urge to catch up in their sleep (but with peeping eyes as they try and see if I've moved on to stand in front of another 'victim') or they must be oblivious to my present physical state ("yah, serves this stupid woman right for drinking so much beer and having a beer belly!").

And it's not only the locals who're putting on this act, the "foreign talents" (whom our govt have painstainkenly been bringing into the country & ask for our acceptance & tolerance) make up the bulk of this new breed of 'actors'. Some would even fight with me for a seat! Imagine that!

I guess, in this "dog eat dog world", it's to each his/her own. And I strongly believe in karma, & this phrase "do not do unto others as you would wish them do onto you". You reap what you sow. 'nuf said!

2 comments:

maryann koh said...

you should have taken photos of these people and post them together with this entry :p that'll teach them *evil laughter*

momoechan said...

i'd wanted to do that but it's a little challenging for me to take a photo of myself with these 'oscar winners' in the background, i need another photographer to help me hee hee