Saturday, August 23, 2008

An apple a day keeps the doctor away?

The subject heading might be a little misleading but there are 2 parts to this. Yes, I do take an apple everyday, every morning in fact, it's been my routine for the past 4 years. I'd read somewhere that if u take an apple half an hr before ur meal, it'll help with digestion. Of cos, I'll take the red apples as I'm not a fan of sour stuff. I take it in the morning, before I take my breakfast and it has been doing well for me. BUT does it really keep the doc away? It's hard to say cos I'm not prone to falling ill easily but hey, it's still a cheap way to keep ur body healthy isn't it?

Ok, back to my true intention of this post. I wanted to talk about the launch of iphone here in Singapore. I work for the 1st telco company which brought in the revoluntionary 3G iphone to Singapore. Although I'm not working in the Consumer dept, which is the division that's bringing in the iphone, it's still quite an experience for me to see the developments of this launch.

When iphone was first launched by Apple last year and only AT&T (in USA) had the exclusive rights to sell it in the world, I've had friends, vendors & customers asking me if my company is planning to bring it in since we're the incumbment in Singapore. And when it was announced that we'll be the 1st to bring in iphone to Singapore mid this year, my friends, vendors and customers started asking me if I knew about the exact launch date and price plans.

Sad to say, I'm not in the privileged group so I don't have access to such info and it's also one of the best kept secrets in the company! No one knew about the exact date of the launch but we'd seen preparations intensify 2 weeks before the 22 Aug launch date. And on this launch week, there was even more mayhem, with preparations going on overdrive mode.

On the day of the launch (well, it was launched at 12.01am on 22 Aug), we saw queue barricades being set up and lots of hired security guards on standby, to ensure that the launch is done in an orderly manner. I'd left the office late on launch date and had wanted to soak in the excitment (although I'm not an iphone fan) but due to my current pregnant stage, it's quite challenging for me.

When I left the office, I didn't see a crowd at the launch area and was worried that ours was going to be a lackluster launch but it turned out that the crowd was controlled at another part of the building and we had a good size turn out for the iphone launch. So, phew, it went well. And iphone fans who've pre-ordered their phones have been turning up in throngs to be the first few to get their hands on the much talked about gadget.

How long will this craze continue? Judging from the response in other countries, it seems that the demand is still high, depsite complains on the lack of standard 3G functions and software glitches. So.... to overcome these negative feedback, should Apple consider a new ad? An (Apple) iphone a day keeps the pessimists away?

No comments: